No matter your age, having nightmares can be an unpleasant experience. Nightmares can be experienced occasionally by most of the people but for some experience of nightmares are frequent. If nightmares become more reoccurring and it scares you most of the times or frequently that it is possible that the person develops nightmare disorder. Consult with best Clinical Psychologist at TalktoAngel if you are suffering from nightmare disorder disease.
The majority of people occasionally experience nightmares, but when this happens frequently, it may signal a disorder called nightmare disorder. The disorder of nightmares is categorised as parasomnia, a category of sleep disorder that disrupts a person’s sleep by causing unusual or unpleasant experiences. Nightmares said to only happen during rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, As a result, they are more likely to manifest themselves when you go in a deep sleep.
When someone wakes up, they are immediately aware and oriented. However, this kind of sleep disruption can be very unsettling and interfere with daytime productivity. This may eventually result in a decline in both physical and emotional health.
The DSM-5 assigns a frequency category to nightmare disorder:
Acute. A month or less goes by before a nightmare occurs.
Subacute. For more than a month but less than six months, nightmares persist.
Persistent. The nightmares last for at least six months.
In terms of harshness
Mild. average of less than one nightmare every week.
Moderate.Occasionally having nightmares, but not every night.
Severe. Every night, nightmare experiences happen.
Symptoms of nightmare disorder
Individuals with post-traumatic stress disorder frequently experience nightmares (PTSD). A 2008 small study also suggested a potential link between the disease and borderline personality disorder.
Although some studies has suggested otherwise, episodes of nightmare disorder aren’t typically brought on by the impacts of substances like narcotics or pharmaceuticals.
Only when unsettling nightmares are persistent and persistently recurring may nightmare disorder be identified. This disorder shows some following symptoms:
- Daytime exhaustion
- Reduced emotional and physical
- Difficult to concentrate,
- Fixated on nightmares while awake, and
- Negatively impacted performance at work, school, or in social circumstances.
- Greater fear and anxiety when awake
- Apprehension about sleeping at night
Causes of nightmare disorder
Hyperarousal that intensifies during the day and night may have an impact on nightmare disorder. Fear-based memories that are dormant during the daytime but awaken at night may also be linked to nightmare disorder.
The following list contains potential triggers for nightmare disorder:
- Childhood trauma,
- Susceptibility to unpleasant stimuli,
- Inability to restrain one’s emotions and feelings
- Withdrawal from pharmaceuticals that prevent REM sleep
- Substances that affect the neurotransmitters norepinephrine, serotonin, and dopamine, albeit high-quality evidence is limited. Sleep apnea, or other physiological problems that disturb sleep.
The following illnesses and ailments frequently coexist with disturbances of nightmares.
- PTSD: It has been established that nightmare disorder has a strong connection to post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Numerous studies that identified connections between nightmares and PTSD were cited in a review of the available literature.
- Anxiety, depression and stress: In older persons, there was a link between depressive symptoms and dreams. Adults who suffer from acute anxiety and depression experience more nightmares.
- BPD: According to research on the relationship between borderline personality disorder (BPD) and nightmares, those with BPD are more likely than those without it to experience nightmares, dream anxiety, and poor sleep quality. 95% of those with BPD reported some sort of sleep disturbance, and 49% experienced regular nightmares.
Impact on quality of life
The severity of nightmare problem affects mood, energy levels, and the quality of sleep. Both the quantity and quality of sleep are impacted by often waking up during the night, particularly when you don’t go back to sleep.
A essential element of existence is sleep. It is the process of renewing the body and the psyche. Inflammation in the body, weariness, mental distress, and chronic disorders are all linked to poor sleep quality. A person’s quality of life, wellbeing, and health can suffer significantly from sleep deprivation. The terror, worry, and melancholy brought on by dreams can also have a significant negative influence on a person’s quality of life.
A combination of pharmaceutical and/or psychological approaches may be used to treat nightmare condition.
- Pharmaceutical approach: Only prazosin represents the most beneficial outcomes after several scientific research throughout the years analysing the efficiency of various drugs on the elimination of nightmares.
Prazon is also a drug for high blood pressure but it also improves the nightmare conditions. A few additional drugs may also be effective in treating nightmare condition, but further study is required.
- Psychotheraputic intervention: Methodologies used in psychotherapeutic interventions are typically used in treatment sessions. Cognitive-behavioral therapies like imagery rehearsal therapy (IRT), which has the client return a particular nightmare, rewrite it to be a more pleasant dream, and then imagine themselves in the new dream, are some of these techniques.
Different strategies can be applied in online therapy, by online therapist such as exposure therapy by itself to diminish fear associated with nightmares. To help a person have more control and awareness during their nightmares so they can change them, another option given by any online therapist is therapy that increases lucid dreams. Feel free to take consult Best Clinical Psychologist near me at TalktoAngel, who will first listen to your problem and then will give you the best therapy as per your disease and will definitely help you to feel better.
Authors Bio- TalktoAngel is the best online counselling platform providing online counselling and therapy services to users in India and around 100 + countries worldwide. With its team of best therapists in India, relationship counsellors, and online psychiatrists, TalktoAngel delivers affordable and confidential online counselling.
If you wish to know more about such amazing and beneficial Life Tips and Ideas, keep reading our blogs. Also, Do let us know your valuable comments in the comment section.
Lifetipsandideas is open for Guest Posting and Guest Blogging. Just Visit Health Write For Us.